Monday 23 May 2016

I am interested in having FUPRE Bill become Law – Sen. Ovie Omo-Agege




Senator Ovie Omo-Agege is a frontline politician, a lawyer and a renowned Uhrobo leader; he is currently the senator representing Delta Central in the upper House on the platform of the Labour party.


In this interview with Sunny Anderson Osiebe, Managing Editor/Publisher and Rotimi Opeyeoluwa, Associate Editor, he spoke on the sundry issues, the state of the nation, the FUPRE Bill and the renewed attacks in the Niger Delta. 


Below is the Interview;

.HallowMace: What is this FUPRE Bill about?
Sen. Omo-Agege:To start with, the Bill to Establish the Federal University of Petroleum Resources at effurun. This Bill is a fall-out of the agitation of the people of Delta State, that we are entitled a Federal Institution. Until FUPRE was approved by then President Olusegun Obasanjo, beyond PTI, there was no federal presence by way of university.
Consequent to that agitation, Obasanjo approved the institution. However, since the University came up in 2009 and till date the legal framework has not been in place and that has consequences. It means that they would have problems with the accreditation of their courses. It means that they would have problems with accessing foreign grants from foreign institutions because the first thing they would ask for is the enabling law that set you up as a University.
Now this Bill has history.
I recall during the 3rd session of the 6th senate, Sen. Eferaykeya brought forward this Bill. For some reasons it didn’t see the light of the day. After the Sen. Eferaykeya debacle, in 2012, this Bill came up again but this time by way of executive Bill from the villa but for some reasons it didn’t fly again.
Again, I cannot fail to mention the dogged efforts of my late brother Senator Ewherido, there is nothing he didn’t do to see that this becomes a reality but for some reasons too, it also didn’t work.
Now, I decided that no matter what happens I would make this Bill become Law and I was prepared that this would happen before the end of my first year in the Senate.
Of course, before I came here there were entreaties made to me by the people from the Uhrobo nation and this was one problem that was brought to my attention and I made a pledge that I was going to pursue it within my first year in the Senate.
So, since I came into this place, I have remained resilient and determined that this Bill must become Law atleast by June 9, 2016, and that’s why we pushed through the first and second reading and even after the second reading, you know the complication of the past, the Senate insisted that we must do the Public Hearing which of course we have done. All that is left is to have the Committee report back to the Senate and carry through with the 3rd reading and have it passed.
Now, I also understand that a Bill of this nature must go through both Houses. This Bill has also cleared in the House of Representatives once or twice, am not so sure of the number of times.
But the information I have is that my good sister who represents us in the House also took on the Bill but unlike the senate, the rules are different.
I am very glad that we are in sync and within a short possible time, the Bill will become law.
                
 
HallowMace: During the Public Hearing there were some contending issues, have they been resolved?

Sen. OvieOmo-Agege: To begin with, the contention notwithstanding. I do not want to get myself involved on those issues. We have our paramount ruler, a revered and well respected traditional ruler in Uhrobo land. He took time despite his busy schedule to give me support. It was gratifying when my colleagues saw him and realized thatI was not just carrying out a yeoman agenda.

I actually have the backing of my people and I am happy.
There was a consensus amongst my colleagues that the Bill will fly. Contending parties must toe the line of our revered king. They most defer to him. But let me just say this, I am interested in having FUPRE become legal, am not interested in its location, so long as its location remains in Uhrobo land. That is my principal interest. It must be sited in Uhrobo land. We fought for this institution to come to Delta State and we wanted it located in Uhrobo land. And we are now concerned with putting up the legal frame work. That is where I come in as a senator. I don’t get involved in the local politics.
Another issue which arose during the Public Hearing was about where it should be domiciled.Should it be domiciled in the Ministry of Petroleum or the Ministry of Education? Okay now, the Bill has the University domiciled in the Ministry of Petroleum Resources and there is a reason for that.
But, am also of the opinion that one of the reasons we fought for this University besides providing the technical expertise for the petroleum sector is also to open up the education sector for our people. Today if you check the statistics, we have 161 Universities in Nigeria today.
It is 40 Federal, 40 State and the rest is private owned. Now of the total of 161, we have an estimated 1.5 million applicants annually and all our Universities can only absorb 500,000 thousand. It means that the rest one million are left out.Some make their way out of the country but how many can afford that?
Now the disadvantage of having it domiciled in the Ministry of Petroleum Resources is that there could be some restrictions to providing education for the oil and gas sector but these one million people who are our children must be accommodated.
I will go with the University been domiciled under the Ministry of education for greater impact. We shall make a case for special funding from the oil sector, especially at the graduate level.
 

HallowMace: Hon. Evelyn Oboro sponsored this Bill in the last parliamentary session but the bill was not assented to by the President. Again in this 8th Assembly, she has pushed it through. At the end of the day, who takes the credit for this Bill?

Sen. Omo-Agege: To begin, before we even talk about the issue of credit, we (Senate) do not concur with Bills from the House of Representatives. We are the Upper House. The House of Representatives concur to our Bills. In other words, if a Bill originates from the lower House, it must go through the same process in the Senate, there is no concurrence.
However, a Bill that originates here in the Senate need not go through the same procedure in the House of Representatives. Once the Senate passes it, they would concur. But we don’t concur because the Senate is the Upper House.
Now having said that, am not in this for a race to take credit or glory, I know what oils my people. I know the battle we fought; I was in the State Government at the time we fought for the establishment of this university.
Now I have been here for only 3 months, there is no reason for RILVARY. I have told you that the first time this Bill came up was in 2009 by Sen. Eferaykeya. That was the first time this Bill came. Therefore, in 2012, came by way of Executive Bill and by December 2014, Late Senator Pius Ewherido came up with it again. I don’t want to go into any NEEDLESS battle.I am a senator and represent 8 local government areas and don’t want to go into RIVALRY.  There is no superiority contest. I have the mandate of the entire uhrobo nation. I don’t represent a local government or a couple of local government areas.
I thank Hon. Evelyn Oboro for the job she has done in the House of Representatives but I am not in this to claim credit with anybody.
 


HallowMace: Apart from this Bill, what else in the form of legislative agenda do you have for the Urhobo nation?
Sen. OvieOmo-Agege: well, there are many. This Bill is one of several. Like I said coming into this institution, I made up my mind not to do ordinary things. I come from a background, and orientation that we should not have an over regulated society.
I want fewer laws but those laws must be Germane to the need of the society as a consequence those kinds of Bills I will push.This university is very critical to the Uhrobo people that I represent, so you can prick that one. The next one we are pushing right now, already listed for second reading and have 58 co-sponsors is a Bill to prohibit Sexual harassment in tertiary institutions of learning.  Now, that Bill means so much to me. There is no household in Uhrobo land where you don’t find victims, before you now go to Delta state and even Nigeria.
This is a menace, when you send your daughters, sisters, nieces to school. You expect them to study under a conducive environment but what do you have, you have some lecturers threatening them to have sex for higher grades and those who oppose are made to stay beyond the duration of their course.
The most painful thing about this is that most of these lecturers schooled abroad and what is not only wrong but not permissible for a lecturer or educator for want of a better word to indulge in such despicable nets/ conduct. It is unlawful for lecturers to have a sexual relationship during the dependency of such lecturer/student relationship. It doesn’t happen in other climes. It is called the honour code.  What we are seeking to do here is to duplicate that same honour code here in Nigeria but in a penal form. Even the 5 years penalty is soft and am such when we get to the public hearing and all those women activists get wind of it, they would kick.
This Bill is germane to all; every Bill I will push will first be good for the Uhrobo nation first before others.
It is a prism, Uhrobo first and others can follow.
 
HallowMace: What is responsible for the renewed bets of violence in the South- South region and how can it be checked?
Sen. Omo-Agege: it goes without saying that the activities of such group especially the new group portend danger to the economic well-being of the country, every attack is a blow to Nigeria and nobody is happy about this.  For me, it is outright criminality because in between agitation, there is criminality because it is not everyone waging this agitation that have genuine intention but I am confident that President Muhammadu Buhari would set in, resolve it and put an end to it.
As an official of the state government, I had cause to deal by way of the state government interface with some of these elements. I took a big risk then going to camp 5, crossing the big river.
The people who are behind this come from communities and there are people who know them. There is a saying, I think it was one of any colleagues who said,”there is a bird who always call for rain, forgetting that when it rains, they also get wet”.
I think we of the Niger-Delta people have suffered enough and that is why I tell people to be appreciative of the efforts of President Muhammadu Buhari. He didn’t receive our votes but not withstanding gave us Lagos-Calabar Rail. Most people don’t appreciate the economic impact of that project and that is why some of us insisted that project must be re-instated in the 2016 budget. We said no way; the President would not be signing the budget unless and until the project is re-instated. I know the importance of that Lagos-Calabar rail project, it traverses 3 major Urhobo cities, Ugehelli, Warri and Sapele and beyond.
What do we have in the public transportation system of Nigeria, Keke and Okada.
But this man is giving us this, what this means is that you would probably make Lagos in two hours from Warri and it’s paid for. N60 billion is already in the budget and the balance is already negotiated for in China and somebody would come and say this man does not mean well for our people. We have had presidents, who has done this for us?
We need to encourage this President and you don’t encourage him by blowing up oil pipelines. In a nutshell, that is the point I want to make. We need to encourage Mr. President. He means well for the people of the South-South.
HallowMace: What is your Honour code and how do you want to be remembered?
Sen. Omo-Agege: Selflessness. I have always told people around me that you have a choice. I am a Lawyer, if I choose to practice Law to make a career in legal practice and gun for money, I can but I also know that the legacy I want to leave behind is not that he has money. It is a legacy of selflessness and that I touched the lives of my people and there is no better way to positively impact the lives of so many except through public service. If you talk about America today, you have the Rockefellers, the Kennedys, and many others. But what they are remembered for is their selflessness in the pursuit, defense and propagation of the American dream. Can you ever write the history of America without their contributions?
These people are not remembered for the money they had but for their contribution/impact for mankind.
For me, it is about what I can do, what I can give back to the society. I was cracking jokes when some law students came visiting me that during our time at UNIBEN, we were well fed. We were given chicken which was free. We were well taken care of for free. The society gave us so much and the least we can do is to give back to our society.
So it is about selfless service. For those of you that have followed my career, I could have folded up. Let me go back to America but if I had done so, I would have disappointed the many who need my help. I will give my best.

Thank you.

SHARE THIS

Author:

Facebook Comment

0 comments: